Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall Wreath & Glue Gun Mishaps

I don't know about you, but I can't seem to do a project involving a glue gun without burning at least 2 or 3 fingers. Well, it was worth it in order to add a little fall color to our front door. I got the idea for this square, fall wreath from Thrifty Decor Chick (we even have the same 'Welcome' sign on our doors). I love that the wreath is square instead of the conventional round!

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty. This is a really simple wreath, I promise. Items you need: foam core board (Walmart $1.97 for a 20x30 piece), fall colored leaves (Family Dollar $1 each x 5) and a glue gun (perhaps some burn ointment as well).

I cut the foam core board to be 20 x 20 which looked rather big, but I loved how Thrifty Decor Chick's looked, so I went with it. I then cut out the center, leaving a 4 inch wide border to glue the leaves on. The leaves I bought were 2 styles; 1 package of really flat, lifeless ones and the other 4 were on a vine, which I clipped off as needed. I went around the perimeter with the flat ones first, just to cover up the foam board. I then went back and tried to place the more dimensional leaves on top. Here is the result:
Did you notice that it's just balancing on the door knocker? I can't seem to locate my wreath hanger at the moment so I thought I could snap a picture quick before the kiddos come home from school.

I think it's really pretty, but I must admit that I don't like my leaf selection as well as Thrift Decor Chick's. They seem a little too flat - but then again, when it's your own project you seem to notice all of the flaws. Also, I may have to glue some thin wood pieces on the back to make it a bit heavier. There is no chance that the light foam board I used will survive an Iowa fall.... or my little monkeys going in and out 17 times a day.

So that's it. What fall projects are you working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment