Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Frenchy Blue Desk

Oh, how I love the French, curvy look on my furniture. So when I found a "french provincial desk" on Craigslist I pounced. Of course I didn't pay the price they were asking- who does that?! (Ok, I do...sometimes) It was the old yellow color with gold accents. Very pretty... in the 70s. She was bound to be painted, and that she was.
Of course I didn't think to take a picture before I painted it. I was in too much of a hurry. You will learn this about me very quickly - I.have.no.patience. In my defense, I had just purchased my first Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and was anxious to try it out (I also used it on the headboard in my previous post). So here is a similar before picture that I borrowed from Charming Creations.


Not the exact same piece, but you get the idea. I decided to try out the ASCP in Louis Blue with Old White accents. What I hadn't decided on was if I should age it with dark wax or simply put a clear wax on it. So I slapped on a couple of coats of chalk paint and lightly sanded between them. I liked the idea of the blue but it looked really flat so I tried some dark wax on two of the drawers, followed by a clear wax to reduce the darkness. The results looked like this (2 points for me for remembering to take a picture!).


Too dark. My mom didn't like it either and that's the end all be all (kidding,.. sort of). So those drawers got another sanding and repainting. I finished it all with a clear wax and put the handles back on in their original state. Then came the chair, which I chose to do in Old White and replaced the fabric with a creamy white and blue toile fabric. 

She turned out very nice, at least I think so. I also had the pleasure of joining the Feathered Nest Friday at the French Country Cottage. Check it out and be inspired by all of the beautiful projects!



No comments:

Post a Comment